Monday, February 14, 2011

Something I Learned at 2 a.m

I found a new cool verse while reading my Bible for New Testament class. I don't like reading the Bible for class so much because it takes away from the amazing, inspiring, convicting message I usually get from it. It becomes less God's love letter to us, and more the professor's assignment for us. And who likes assignments? But, whether or not it's an assignment, it's still God's word and God was still able to speak to me (it's God; I doubt he found it difficult to do).
Anyways, here is the very cool verse I'd like to share with you. I don't think I've ever heard it before. We always here the one in James 2:17 "In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead," but I like this new one as well from Galatians 5:6b "The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." Amen!! We go to heaven by faith alone, grace alone, Jesus alone; but what is faith without love? Certainly not the kind of faith Jesus talked about having.
Express your faith through love!
Another thought from Francis Chan...when people leave a church, they shouldn't be thinking "Wow, great music," or, "That pastor was wearing a nice tie," or, "Free donuts were a nice touch." No, they should be thinking, "Wow, I have never been in a place seeped in so much love!" People should leave Christian churches completely blown away by the amount of love in them.
Is that how America's churches are? Maybe- I hope so!
But I'm afraid a lot of them are being too distracted by business, church politics, catty drama, or other things when there are people coming into those churches who need to see and feel genuine love.

"The only thing that counts is faith expressing itself through love." Galatians 5:6b

4 comments:

  1. Being in a church is so much about being part of a family, feeling loved and feeling that you are special to someone. My church lost that feeling to me and many others. Many of my loved and cherished family members were leaving because they weren't feeling loved, weren't feeling appreciated and heard by others. I know we aren't a perfect congregation because we are a body of sinners and prone to make mistakes. I hope that through this experience we can ALL heal and learn to give that "unconditional" love to others. Even those outside our circle of friends just like the book "the Same kind of different as me."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah! I love the picture it gives in Acts of them eating and living together and helping people and stuff...that seemed like a church built on love. Maybe I'm naive, but I think that can happen again! Afterall, if we're Christians we should want to follow Jesus and love, right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. But God gives us humans free will and I've seen first hand the tragedies of choices we make as sinners. I know that I can do my part in loving others and following Jesus and helping others to see him through the love I share freely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great find! I'm definitely going to have to remember that verse

    ReplyDelete